Saturday, May 7, 2011

Rebellion of the flesh, Baring of the Soul

"They stick you with those names, those labels--"rebel" or whatever; whatever they like to use. Because they need a label; they need a name. They need something to put the price tag on the back of"-Johnny Depp

At many times society puts gender, sexuality preference, culture, ethnicity/nationality, style, etc into a box, because what is unknown to someone terrifies them, so people choose to put you in a category so they can say "they figured you out".

The definition of rebel
1. To refuse allegiance to and oppose by force an established government or ruling authority.
2. To resist or defy an authority or a generally accepted convention.
3. To feel or express strong unwillingness or repugnance

Through my experiences in life, when people use any variation of the word "rebel" there are negative connotations. I think being a rebel is being YOURSELF even when society prefers you go with the crowd and be part of the "norm". I don't think there is anything wrong with being a rebel, it helps ensure that you are yourself and not a duplicate/copy.  I know when people look at me they have put me into categories that I never actually worked to put myself into, but for society's safe keeping, here I am labeled.  Things that I get often are:
"you're stuck up because you're pretty".  
"You think you're better then everyone else since you're a light bright" 
"I can't see you doing that because you're too nice" 
"You must be crazy since you're Puerto Rican"
"Isn't that biological clock ticking?" 
"You're single, what's wrong with you then"

and amongst many others. People easily have put me on this pedal stool so if I fail, or do anything that's not normal in their eyes, something that will surprise, shock, or is unpredictable, they freak out! For example, if I look at my pictures from high school, one of the few I have away from home<yes I had braces>



and I look at myself now, no one could imagine that I would be dying my hair, have 6 piercings, preparing to get a couple of tattoos, and willing to do nude art. 
                                                    

I honestly can say that I didn't expect myself to do all of the above, but I never put it pass myself that the possibility of me doing so wasn't there either. People limit their brilliance and choices because they fear what they don't know, they worry about what others have to say. Of course valuing and respecting other people's opinions is great, but allowing OTHERS make decisions for YOU is NOT. You only have one life to live, why live it the way someone else wants you to?  I come from a very traditional, over protective family. I do not regret anything my family ever did for me or taught me growing up because the things they value meant more to me then them not giving me an extension on my curfew or not able to date until I was 30 haha.  They taught me to stay open minded, don't judge, don't fear love and trust in yourself, and if you fail get back up there is a blessing in every lesson.  What more could I really ask?  Of course my parents will still get on my case because they don't want their baby growing up, but they do respect and trust me, and that's more I can say for others' relationships. 

So stop worrying about what others have to say about what you're doing with your life. You will have haters, it's inevitable, but I rather have haters then be a hater. And learn and get to know yourself, we put so much effort into everyone else and neglect ourselves. Shed the layers and step outside of the box of stereotypes, labels, and norms. Do YOU!


"If creation is not magic, the outcome cannot be magic"-Hans Hofmann

Stay blessed-Much Love,
Miss Ember

2 comments:

  1. Nice Blog Ember!!! It's always good to know thats there are other people out there that are not caught up in the inception of having no creativity and always trying to fit in..Keep doing your thing girl!! JB!!

    ReplyDelete